Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Not bored, but maybe a bit lost?

Lots of people told me that I’d get bored being off work. I kept saying I wouldn’t and I’m not. To be bored is “feeling weary and impatient because one is unoccupied or lacks interest in one’s current activity“. [The new Oxford English Dictionary].

There are so many facets to being a domestic-executive there is limited scope for boredom. In my fledgling weeks and days in New Zealand, I tackled my duties like an executive in the fast lane. But, now there is a slower pace creeping in that I’m not sure is necessarily a good thing for workaholic like me.

It’s funny how the disciplines of working practices soon disappear. I’ve been having an very unsettling time as my long standing compulsion to write, review and complete daily to-do lists has all but gone. I still manage to write the to-do-lists and even branched out into a new repertoire of lists for shopping expeditions. The trouble is now that once lists are written they tend to get forgotten.

Perhaps I’m losing my touch. Or maybe I’m just finally learning to not sweat the small stuff!

Although I meandered into this Blog because I had the time to do it, I’ve been given a new sense of responsibility to work a bit harder at demonstrating how I'm making the most of the opportunity for starting over.

Deeper thinking is in order to rise to the challenge set by a former colleague. Here’s his response to my news in an email that I was considering my options for paid employment again. I quote, “Your move represented a state of aspirational nirvana for all us working but donotwannabe’s, so you cannot go back to work unless we all vote on it…..I for one am not ready to have my mental oasis deleted, so go do plan B, and buy a lottery ticket”

Boy, I do appreciate the benefits of being released from the shackles of employment. I just now need to get the hang of what I do with all this time and opportunity.

Maybe I need to trawl back into my executive toolbox and more clearly define a new sense of purpose. Perhaps, with a new strategy for the future and an action plan for achieving it I’ll feel more at peace. I fear that without those performance setting norms, I’m going to slack off and end up in a nightmare instead of living the dream.

After all, I don’t think that my future can be based on the New Zealand lottery. Although every Wednesday and Saturday I’m in to win the chances of winning are pretty slim!

No comments: