Friday, June 16, 2006

Was this the dream?

It's been four months now since I swopped a place at the boardroom table for a full time role as a domestic executive. In that time, it's been a roller coaster ride of change.

Firstly, I had to pack up our home in the UK and ship our chattels to New Zealand. This was always going to be traumatic but seemed much more extreme doing it on my own whilst Martin was settling into his new job in NZ and whilst also coping with illness (black eyed flu and winter vommiting) and disability (a seriously painful back). It was a blessed relief to get on that jumbo jet for 24 hours of complete rest where someone else was taking responsibility. I'd also enjoyed a couple of days as a child again in the capable hands of my Dad and Shirley who looked after me in the way that only parents can when you most need them.

It seemed that the 24 hour journey was insufficient to rejuvenate me and it's fair to say I arrived in Wellington looking haggered and only a tiny bit less stressed. Not a pleasant sight for my beloved husband! But, I was free of the stresses and strains of professional life - phew!

My first few weeks were a flurry of excitement - exploring my new home town, looking for land for us to build our new home and soaking up the culture of kiwi life. I promised myself that I'd get fit and healthy when I arrived so started a daily swimming regime at the Thorndon swimming pool and gradually I settled into a new rhythm of life.

At least from the domestic operative perspective, our apartment on Molesworth Street was small and easy to keep clean. I became the model housewife with a daily routine to cleaning, shopping, washing and ironing. I also had plenty of time to keep up with my email correspondence, maintaining ties with family and friends so many miles away.

Whilst I was enjoying freedom, Martin was coping with a new job with huge challenges making him tired and a little cranky. Whilst trying to be as supportive and understanding, it was tricky to feel liberated and relaxed when he was having such a tough time. There is no doubt that there were days when I felt very lonely as he spent long hours at work or preoccupied with work trying to fix problems not of his making. His talent saw him through and by the time we left on our Easter holiday we were both ready to rest, relax and reconnect in a beautiful location.

Hot foot back from Hawkes Bay we moved to our rental town house in Khandallah. The unpacking was almost as tiring as the packing but it was a wonderful feeling to have our favourite things around us. So, now settled in our temporary home it was time to start living a normal life.

The question is, was this the life I'd dreamed of?

No comments: