Monday, August 07, 2006

Speaking with intent

Hotfoot from holiday, I've been catching up with my coaching homework. The focus of which is speaking with intent. This means speaking clearly, succinctly and generously.

It sounds simple, doesn't it? Believe me its exhausting trying to keep things short, sharp and with a human touch. Regular readers of this blog will know from my rambling this is something I need to work harder on!

Reflecting on who might be a role model I'm drawing inspiration from a former colleague who didn't say much but when he did it was worth listening to. So it just goes to show you don't have to be the loudest in the room to get heard the most.

Although speaking with intent is a powerful communications skill, it's certainly cramped my style to wax lyrical about my trip to pacific paradise. But, this might be a good thing for the sake of my colleagues sanity.

So, in my new spirit of generosity I've spent the day listening to all the fun things I've missed in the office and only after 8 hours back at base it seems like I've never been away. Still, I'm hanging onto the memories to keep me warm in the chilly wind and rain.

No comments: