Tuesday, January 30, 2007

City of sales

This weekend I've been putting in more hard yards but this time on the high street in the city of sales. Ophs, I mean the City of Sails. Yes, I decided to set aside my prejudice of Auckland and try some rest and relaxation in the company of Naomi. A girlie weekend unencumbered by him indoors (who incidently spent the weekend watching televised sport or reading his new Wisden).
First the views.
Auckland city tower from the Domain
View across Auckland Harbour to the bridge
I have to admit that this trip did redeem Auckland generally and NZ from a retail perspective as I pounded the streets of Ponsenby, Parnell and Newmarket with a fleeting look at Queen's Street which provide more shops for girls than you can really do justice too in a two day break.
Puntuate the shopping with some fine dining and a concert (Madeline Peroux) it added up to a splendid city break.
As always with shopping trips you rarely buy what you set out for but in Naomi's case I have to say she did enough shopping for both of us and more. She was on a roll from the moment we set of and didn't stop until her bag would no longer fit anything else in. Me, well in my usual restrained way I bought the first pair of shoes in the first shop I went in and then it was all down hill with nothing else really coming up to scratch. Not even the prospect of a new handbag amongst the myriad of choices.
Flying back to Wellington it still very much like home but I did get a better perspective on NZ's largest city. Trick now is to venture north on a regular basis to stock up on those items that you can't get in Wellington in either the volumes or with the convenience.

No comments: