Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lame duck GM

It feels really wierd at work. I think I am now officially a lame duck General Manager.

With only 8 more working days in this role my email traffic has almost ground to a halt, the phone only rings to recruitment consultants or advertising sales people and my staff look at me with that knowing look that they don't need to listen to me any more. But hey, life could be worse.

I'm certainly ready to move on to other things. I'm looking forward to clearing my desk and swopping it with one of my team that's taking on the Acting GM role until they make a firm appointment. I'll only be in the office two days a week aiming to complete a couple of projects for the CE. That's of course if the senior management get around to making a decision!

Away from work it's all go on the home furnishing front. I've almost cracked the curtain selection - just need a rethink on one of the colour chosen for our bedroom painting. Although MT likes it, it's just not a fashionable colour and it's proving impossible to find the furnishings to match. Funny how I keep being directed to a certain football club for their ready made curtain line which seems to match the colour he's chosen!

Let there be light - we've about finished choosing light fittings which in itself is a marathon affair. I've also order my new home office furniture which is going to be very pretty rather than heading off to officemax for the standard laminate affair. Well, this domestic executive has got to have something to enjoy as I run my micro empire from the country.

Well, I think I will anyway. Turns out that the great information superhighway doesn't quite stretch to Kaitoke. It's more like a country lane. I joke not! How can it be that in that part of the world there is a gap in provision which seems to sit slap bang where we have bought our land. MT has been making enquiries and seems that there are a list of technical issues as long as your arm whilst getting broadband at home will be an engineering challenge. But, fingers crossed that with a southerly breeze and none of the other 38 users that will be linked to our BB exchange we might be able to read the Archers synopsis on-line. Whether we'll still be able to listen again will on-line is a whole different matter.

Readers, you need to wish me luck on this because if we can't get the Archers, we won't get any of the other household popular listening, the Guardian, Telegraph, Spectator and Economist on-line. Not to mention the CCFC on-line TV, BBC sport and other manly pursuits. Me thinks the technology might be fixed quicker than you think and it won't be because Domestic Executive enterprises needs it to earn a living!

No comments: