Sunday, September 03, 2006

A new insight to househusbandry

My dear supportive husband has thrown himself into sharing domestic duties since I have started full time work. I can't quite work out whether his enthusiasm is just another routine that he draws pleasure from or whether he's getting more obsessed about standards of domestic hygiene.

So for 90 minutes each weekend we get into the cleaning frenzy. I get the bathrooms and kitchens to clean and he does the dusting and vacuuming. I know who got the short straw!
Nevertheless it’s heartening to see the new insights that he has gained from this participative domestic sport – that glass cabinet he thought his plasma TV would look wonderful on has taken on a new dimension. Also, he now understands the need to have the see through bucket on the Dyson to monitor the dust flow through the house. The stairways are his biggest pain needing to change all the tools and lug the equipment up and down.

But after almost 3 months of this routine his enthusiasm doesn’t seem to be waning. Although, he was rather too quick to draw up the spring cleaning routine for me to do when I have a week off work soon!

I realise that this joint activity is only an interlude until I am back being a full time domestic-executive but for the meaning I’m enjoying the company and revelling in his excitement as he finds a new and quicker way to tackle chores or mid week will protest when something happens that might impact on his weekend domestic duties!

No comments: