Friday, December 01, 2006

Countdown to being a domestic executive: 42 weeks to go

Many people think that I'll not stay the domestic executive course and do a u-turn on my plans and stay in full time work. After a week like I've had I can continue to plead my case that I've had it will full time corporate executive responsibilities.

There was no single big event that made me reaffirm my plans but simply the build up of lots of little niggly things that overall just serve to remind that even if you change the job, organisation or the country, corporate life if pretty much the same everywhere.

Now I am settling into my desk and people know I am in post the in-tray is piling up and email box is overflowing (no Murray here to lift the lid on the ICT limits!). The difference is now I don't take it home to do on an evening or weekend, what doesn't get done in the office quite simply doesn't get done.

This change of attitude and behaviour is very empowering and somehow the big stuff still gets done and so far noones complained. Not spending time at home on work frees up bags more time for other things - we're back on proper cooking on an evening, I'm keeping up with my emails (mostly) and most of all there is time to spend with whomever I chose.

Next week it's a social whirl with the party season starting to get into swing so just as well my new work policy is in place as I've got too much partying to be done!

No comments: