Friday, June 15, 2007

Coffee etiquette

I always think of Friday's as kiwi day - laid back and making the most of an easy life. Wellington turns a different colour too, the traditional black in the CBD turns denim blue.

The office atmosphere is always much lighter and brighter, usually with plenty of baking in the Level 8 kitchen. This week I was treated to an amazing sight - two men unloading and loading the dishwasher!

Not such an amazing thing really but certainly a rare sight. I realised after a few minutes that this wasn't just two blokes relenting under the pressure of the girls in the office to do their bit but rather them preparing for their Friday refreshment ritual.

When the decks were clear the coffee making equipment was carefully unpacked. Supersized cafetiere, milk frother and wait for it, the coffee beans and grinder. Then the two office baristas started work with full blown coffee etiquette applied. It was a pretty impressive sight to see them leave the kitchen with their tray of goodies (obligatory muffins and cheese scones of course!) and head to their desks for a yarn and coffee.

As you might expect I wasn't going to fall for the Wellingtonian thing, I stuck with my cup of English Breakfast tea (milk in first) to my English china mug. Just as it should be!

No comments: