Thursday, June 14, 2007

Domestic fit out

OK, I know I've become very tardy with my blogging in recent weeks. The fact of the matter is that being a domestic executive is sooooo time consuming. I've got two full time jobs at the moment, the one that earns the money and the one that spends it.

I've been totally engrossed in planning and researching fittings and fixtures for the house. Getting what you want requires total obsession with the detail and however good the architect and builders are, it's down to you to get the specification, sourcing and pricing nailed down.

At last we've made huge progress in this regard after my Godsend Father sent over the Fired Earth catalogue from the UK in which to harrass suppliers in New Zealand. Many a conversation, starts and ends with "I want it to look like that", pointing furiously to the glitzy homey pictures of English country homes. Funny that in New Zealand people are looking at me as if I am completely barmy. The rest of the conversations are usually interspersed with "How much? You're joking aren't you......"; "It takes how long to get here.......?"; "Well I know that that's how kiwi's do it but I'm not a kiwi so please can you explain again......!". It's exhausting and frustrating and it's consuming my life.

But, light is starting to appear like through the mangaroa tunnel. See http://domestic-executive.blogspot.com/2007/03/photoblogging-tunnel-gully.html

Floor tiles, carpets, woodflooring now picked. Plumbing fittings and tapware selected and two fallings out the with builders on pricing. Kitchen still in progress as we're now sourcing English made units that can be supplied and fitted cheaper than those built and made in Wellington (if you can work that out let me know!). Wardrobes decided on although we really aren't doing it the kiwi way (who wants to fill their house with MDF and formica cupboards?). Electric plan drawn up (that's really going to sting when with the bill comes in) and joinery units specified (not so cheap and nasty now).

The search now commences for the holy grail of bathroom accessories and heated towel rails that don't look like they've come from $stretcher but at $stretcher prices. I will need a holiday before deciding on paint colours.

We've also have a wonderful garden landscaping plan which is very exciting and makes a change from thinking about bathrooms and kitchens. The landscaper got the design nailed first time. Funny that it's a Brit that's done it .... a concidence perhaps?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'total obsession with the detail' doesn't even get close.....there isn't a homeware shop in the lower half of the North Island that doesn't know the English couple building in Kaitoke.