Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Yup, still here

I know it's been a while. I've been crook. Flu don't you know. So bad I had to stay off work.

But I'm back and entering that manic phase a couple of days before a holiday trying to get everything done in time and kidding myself in the process that I really will get it all done. Yes, we're off to a warmer place for a week.

This domestic executive hasn't been loitering though. I'm full steam ahead with my countdown to life post 26 September. I know people didn't believe I would but I've decided to cut lose of the clutches of full time employment and fly solo as planned. I am going to put together a proposal for my new boss on some project work I can continue with on a part time flexible basis but otherwise I'm handing the reins to someone else on for the day to day management of the Communications Office.

It's all rather exciting really as I've managed to hook up with a couple of branding boys who do fantastic work and they've asked me to join their team. I'll still work self employed and build my personal brand but otherwise leave the empire building to them. After all, I've got visitors to think about!

With flu, major presentations at work and thinking about the future it has been a hectic time. Another poor excuse for not blogging but really, it's been very dull. I'm still hunting paint colours, carpets and wallpaper but that is almost done too!

The house is still there and progress being made. The painter rang to check outside paint colours so I know there are still people working up there. We've not been up recently because the weather has just simply been awful and because we can't get inside the thought of peering through windows isn't my idea of fun. I'm working on the principle that seeing progress next time we'll get a real sense of things moving on. I do know that the wall linings with Gib Board (plasterboard) has started and this was a worry because it's been so we we weren't sure if the council would give sign off. But, the lovely Upper Hutt Council building inspectors did!

Talking about Council's we've just put in for planning permission to build our barn/garage. It's going to be a red heritage barn. OK its not quite the boutique accommodation I was planning but we need something to garage the car and keep all Martin's new outdoor boys toys safe and sound in. There is plenty of room to expand the accommodation on site but for the moment we're going to stick to putting up the barn. Hopefully we'll get the go ahead pretty quickly and work can start on site.

In the wider kiwi world not much happening apart from wintery weather. Oh yes and public scandal where political advisors intervened on the appointment of a Communications Manager in the Ministry of Environment. The kiwi $ is sailing higher and higher which is good for me but hopefully by the time visitors start arriving someone will have got a grip on the economy. Winter sales are on in the shops and people at work are taking very long holidays for trips to the northern hemisphere. Pity its been raining in the UK too!

Anyway, won't ramble any more but thought it was time to show a presence. Will see if we can improve the photoblogging with reports from the Great Barrier Reef, Tropical Rainforest and well just the beach! Palm Cove here I come!

No comments: