Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Personal reflection - is it all it's cracked up to be?

I'm half way through my first major coaching assigment, coaching to members of a senior board on the results of their 360 degree appraisal. Its been a real eye opener to see how people have approached the session - body language has been fun to see how it evolves and what happens when I start asking them questions which challenge their thinking.

It's quite something to be independent and feeding back evidence from others. I've certainly go no agenda other than making sure that the message is heard. Some of the messages being sent are hard for some people to hear. This is made worse when they act like they are hard of hearing and I keep having to repeat the message in an an ever more persistent way until they finally get it!

There is no doubt that personal reflection is tough to do when you're being forced through an organisational process. As one of my clients pointed out "All this personal reflection is not all it's cracked up to be. I'm quite happy the way I am, it's other people need to change and get used to it!" Let's just say there was no way that person was leaving the session early for good behaviour!

I've no time for personal reflection this week - I'm motoring on Domestic Executive adrenalin fitting in all the chores, work and home cooking to put me to bed in a state of readiness for sleep!

No comments: