Saturday, February 23, 2008

2 Years and counting

It's been two years - that's 730 days - since I arrived in New Zealand to start my new life as a Domestic Executive. Those painful first few hours after stepping off the plane are starting to fade to the long term memory but it's still hard to believe that I've really started to achieve what I set out to do. But it is amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it.

As a professional coach I spend hours helping others to achieve their goals and wonder whether things might have been different if I'd had a coach at the time. Probably not as I'm not the most coachable person as my own coach found out.

The key to it all motivation. You have to want something really really bad to make something happen. You also need to have a really clear picture in your mind what it will be like. With those two things upper most in your mind everything else that might get in your way will drift away as a minor irritation.

It's been a roller coaster time since I called New Zealand home. At last I feel like I'm on the antique merry go round rather than the corkscrew that used to be at Alton Towers. I ran away to get a more balanced life as a domestic executive living in the country and I've largely achieved this. Now the challenge is to start living the next part of the dream.

In coaching we'd call that setting new goals. So what are the goals for the next two years:
- to establish the kitchen garden and start to be more self sufficient in terms of food
- to build a "lifestyle business" that means life comes first but not at the expense of earning a decent living
- to help my puppies grown into loving and obedient adult bassets who will lie quietly on the floor and watch and intellectual documentary on the tv
- to be wake up every day knowing that this domestic executive life is no longer a dream!

So let's see how the next two years goes.

No comments: