Thursday, February 21, 2008

Weed warfare

This week I declared warfare on the weeds on our land. I know that I'll be fighting a losing battle for years to come but you have to start somewhere.

This decision followed a rather painful lesson in weeding - make sure that your teeshirt meets your shorts at the back. After spending several hours digging up thistles and dandelions that were establishing themselves on my lawn (Ok, the place where the lawn should be) and in my new flower beds I found to my pain that my teeshirt didn't quite. Still I've a lovely patch of tan which looks faintly ridiculous but gives me renewed determination to get rid of the weeds.

After clearing the flower beds it was time to use blanket amoury in the form of bark mulch. After a big truck deliver 5 cubic metres of the stuff it became a family affair to get the beds covered. I have to say that credit goes to my father-in-law for the most mulch shifted from the pile although the rest of the Treanor family got in at the end of a long day to finish up the last bits.

Long may this mulch keep down the weeds. However, I suspect that they will be back soon in another part of the garden!

Can you tell who didn't wield a shovel all day?
The master learning the finer points of mulch shifting

Now doesn't that look nicer!


No comments: