Friday, March 07, 2008

Domestic Takeover

I try my best to balance the life of a domestic executive but it's not easy with so many things to be done in a day. I have to admit that one of the things that is low down my priority list is the ironing which seems to sit in my laundry cupboard growing from mole hill to mountain size over the course of a week.

I'm not a lover of ironing so tend to run a "just-in-time" system where we get what we need as we need it, although I do try to be more dilligent about MT's requirements for the working week. I think I am a real disappointment to my parents (both sets) and our latest guest in this regard who are much more inclined to wash and iron in the same day.

As a result there's been a domestic takeover this week. When I turned my back Sarah (my friend from UK) was wielding the iron over some trousers that had gone into the washing machine to make up a load for her. And as if that wasn't bad enough I came home from a day being an executive to find my mother-in-law had (with great satisfaction, I might add) infiltrated the laundry cupboard and cleared the decks. This was something she's been itching to do but was not allowed to when I was here. After all, a domestic executive needs to hold her place of authority on such matters.

Still, it's wonderful that the mountain has now gone and I look forward to the challenge of creating a new one next week when I'll be safe from domestic invaders.

Did you know that ironing is now an extreme sport? Yes, really, see for yourself!

Don't worry though it's unlikely that I'll be taking this up as a new pastime but sticking to my more traditional methods, and only when MT has run out of shirts to wear for work!

No comments: