Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Jog squad blog: it can't be healthy

I'm on my fourth week of the jog squad regime with runs three times a week. Although I'm not pole position in the squad I'm not the back marker either which is quite a relief.

Not sure that this running lark is completely healthy, whatever my mate Ron says. Even with the stretches before I set off my legs still feel like they are being ripped in two within about 10 minutes of shuffling along. I keep remembering what Jane Fonda used to say - go for the burn and you know it's doing you good.

We're running a minimum of 40 minutes each run with some runs, like Monday, a lot longer (55 minutes). I have to admit to have got a little "lost" and nipped down Molesworth Street where we used to live for old times sake and to avoid the even longer haul back to the start. I know when I'm beat and had no shame in cutting off a big corner of the run. If I'd done the full course I'd still be running it now.

MT is very worried about my health - my knees are not like used to be. Also, my running buddy had to drop out from the squad with tendonisis in her knees. It was a case of too much too soon - she's got a particularly competitive streak in her. Not something I am troubled with so able to keep myself a little safer from injury.

Saturday is a "big run" which thrills me, not! I'll let you know how I get on - a hour in Belmont Park - to acclimatise us to off road running like the Rimutaka Incline run.

My secret plan is to start taking the route for real when we move to Kaitoke (the start of the race is only a 5 minute drive from our new house). That way I'll get some practice runs on the real course in an attempt to get a small advantage over those who've never run.

Also, need to hide my supplies en route. Sneeky eh!

No comments: