Thursday, October 11, 2007

Rugby bores

It's fair to say that there's been a topic of conversation dominating the media, the office, pubs, clubs and bar......how can it have gone so wrong?

After several days of listening to the respective dissections of how the All Blacks played, the French Team's passion for the win, the usless refereeing and the controversial conditioning training, I am frankly bored. I don't recall that when England lose footie matches that the grief continues for days and days and days. Or maybe it did and I just didn't notice.

Most of the team have returned looking pale and shocked. And can you believe it, they're now trying to muscle in on the final matches of the home season to quench their thirst for a win. Can't see the lads who've been plugging away for weeks in the cold and wind will find that an attractive option, especially since putting and AB back in the team will mean someone else who has battled in the club competitions will have to sit on the bench.

Still, the hopes of the nation now rest on the Silver Ferns being victorious in the world cup - the Netball World Cup that is. Now before you snigger - netball is prime time sports viewing here in New Zealand. The Silver Ferns stand tall and proud to be netball players on the world stage. I can't say it's really captured my imagination yet but when world supremacy is at stake it might be a bandwagon I'll leap on - just so I can saviour the kiwi culture and psyche.

If you're wondering about this domestic-executive's sporting endevours. I'm still battling on in the jog squad. Three weeks into the training I'm finally managing to keep runnning rather than gasping for breath hanging onto lampposts as the elite runners get away from me.

I'm so dedicated to my fitness campaign I was out in torrential rain last night - for 40 minutes battling the wind along the harbour. Brave move I think and I'm very proud of myself for keeping going. Well, I bought the shoes so better show willing and didn't want my mate Ron to feel disappointed in me.

No comments: