Friday, October 12, 2007

Playing hooky

There is a myth being spread that being a domestic-executive means that you spend your time lounging around watching DVDs and eating boxes of chocolates. I'd like to find that niche someday but in the meantime I'm frantically working through my to do lists and juggling lots of things.

Just as you get one list of chores done another pops up elsewhere and demands attention. In my free 20 hours this week I've spent half of it on organising things for the house move and the other half, as MT describes it, playing at being a management consultant.

At this stage I am setting myself up again with the home office and starting to do business. I've got two paying coaching clients both of whom came to me - the ideal sort of marketing! I'm also preparing the ground to launch my coaching practice - Catapult Coaching.

After much procrastination about how to position my new coaching venture I was approached by some consultants I've been working with to set up the coaching portfolio of their company. Hmm, selling out already I hear you say. Fear not, but I do admit to taking the less risky route.

Operating as an independent contractor I'm going to be setting up and leading coaching for Catapult which means that I can run a business without the need to establish my own brand and charge out at their rates. Catapult is a small company doing leadership programmes, branding and strategic consultancy - a perfect fit for me. From 2008 I'll be coaching participants on the Catapult Leadership Programmes and building up a wider client base. We've not launched yet but you can look up about the company on www.catapult.co.nz

So playing at being a management consulting is taking quite a bit of effort but its an investment I've been counting down to make for a very long time. It does however mean I am falling short on the domestic role which has not gone unnoticed by you know who. But hey, he'll get over it if he wants his dinner cooked tonight!

No comments: