Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Book blogging

With all the excitement of chickens, bassets, mice (the headcount is now 6), hedges and other miscellaneous country life I thought it was time to prove that I'm not completely oblivious of things outside of my patch of land.

When I'm not blogging I love to read. I go in fits and starts though with me going for weeks without reading and then I become a total book worm becoming totally engrossed. I set myself a goal this year that I was going to read more and my birthday package from Amazon this year brought me 4 novels (all highly recommended by Richard and Judy) and 2 gardening books.

Eagled eyed bloggers will see I've jumped on the bandwagon and added an Amazon feature to my blog. This will allow you to link immediately to the site and if you buy I'll get a cut that will keep the Bassets in the style they've become accustomed to.

I've just finished the first of the novels and if you fancy giving it a go don't forget to link from my blog!

The book was A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, of Kite Runner Fame. It's set in Afgahanistan in the last 30 years - from the Soviet invasion to the Taliban era and beyond. It's the tale of two women whose lives become interwined and the struggles they face. I found the story enchanting and shocking in equal measure. Definitely worth a read - it gives you insight to the lives of Afghan women and made me grateful that I'm not one.

If anyone else has read this book I'd be keen to see what you think.


The other book by bedside is Monty Don's Around the World in 80 Gardens. True inspiration for those creating a garden of their own!

No comments: