Friday, May 09, 2008

How can I stop feeling like a murderer?

You'll remember we've been having a few mouse problems. I followed the advice available from friends and the internet and my mouse catching tally has increased to 4.

You'd think I'd be pleased. But every time I pick up a shut mouse trap with a little nose or tail sticking out I feel terrible.

It also turns out that the nasty smell in Domestic Executive HQ was not some naughty puppy but a mouse that decided to die behind my pencil drawer.

All this reminds me of the mice we used to have living in our house in the UK. They used to run in the roof space over the ceiling in our bedroom stopping only to climb up and down the roof joists. It was quite comical when I think about it now but those nocturnal gymnastics didn't seem so funny at the time. Those playful mice were also responsible for chewing through our house wiring which resulted in a lot of hassle and expense to fix the damage from their chewing.

I really do feel bad but can't find any of those humane mouse traps that we could release back into the field. But even if we could I realise that we're putting at risk our highly sensitive indoor wiring that has become a lifeline to the rest of the world though the internet.

So what can I do to feel less like a murderer? All suggestions gratefully received.

No comments: