Saturday, June 14, 2008

Mammoth gorse harvest

The bassets and I have had a very productive afternoon. Exhausting but very satisfying and we had glorious weather to brighten our day.

After a couple of wet weekends it was important to restart the gorse harvest. We've got trees to put in but can't do so until some of the gorse is cleared. So the boys and I set to and we cleared about 20 m of gorse and as if by miracle we finally find the boundary to the land at the bottom of the garden.

The only problem with gorse harvesting is what to do with the gorse harvested. Although my friend Gill mentioned that she knew someone who made wine from gorse, I'm not sure that this is a good idea since our gorse has been exterminated with industrial strength killer spray.

I've created a massive pile to be burned tomorrow. I think if we set light to it as it is we'd probably take the rest of the bush with it so there'll need to be some careful planning and fire building skills.

It's fair to say that my hands, arms, legs and back ache after all the physical exertion but I'm so pleased to have made it to the bottom of the garden at last. If those living in the northern hemisphere get woken by a bright light in the middle of the night, don't worry it's just us burning our gorse!

Fortnum admiring the growing gorse mountain

Rubbish picture (sorry, it was getting dark) but if you squint you can see the bottom of the garden.
Yes there are still plenty of gorse stumps we've got to deal with!

My basset boys on guard protecting the gorse mountain

Domestic Executive neat stacking of the gorse!

Honest, this isn't a line of gorse bushes. My gorse mountain in all it's glory!
Tomorrow when I crawl out of bed complaining of the muscle ache I shall think of my father-in-law who started this whole gorse thing off in the first place. After his marathon spraying efforts during his holiday with us earlier in the year it would be rude not to follow through and clear the dead gorse. I keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end. Won't it?

1 comment:

Marrisa said...

Oooo so do you have to get a permit or something to burn the gorse? Its a pig of a job thats for sure. We had an 'overtake' on the land in the UK when I lived with my parents about 10 years ago, one of my worst memory was picking out the bloody prickles! xx